Food is the foremost source of nutrition. It helps control various diseases and strengthens the immune system. Diet helps fight and prevent cancer and can also stimulate the risk of cancer. It is highly important to make smart food choices and protect your health to battle cancer and other diseases. According to research, cancer related deaths are largely due to unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as excessive smoking, overconsumption of alcohol and unhealthy diet. Curbing all these habits can lead to an improvement in your health and also lower the risk of cancer and other diseases.
You may have no idea but every day you gobble down food that can accelerate your risk of cancer, especially if you have a family history of the disease. Do you know processed red meat can increase the chance of colorectal cancer by 21%, dairy protein can increase the risk of prostate cancer by 32% whereas eating fruits and vegetables can severely reduce the risk of various types of diseases and even obstruct cancer it its pathways.
Some of the Foods That Prevents Cancer
No single food can prevent cancer but a combination of various healthy foods can help ward off this chronic ailment. Whole grains, beans, soy and nuts can reduce the risk of cancer. Plant based foods burst with nutrients and defends the body against cancerous cells. Fruits are rich in vitamin E, C and beta carotene. These powerful vitamins help the body perform optimally and prevent cancer.
- Fruits may lower the risk of stomach cancer
- Eating vegetables that burst with carotenoids, such as Brussels sprouts and carrots can lower the risk of lungs, mouth, and larynx cancers
- A diet rich in vitamin C, such as peas, berries and leafy green vegetables, can prevent esophageal cancer
- Foods high in lycopene content, such as watermelon and bananas, can reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Some of the Foods That Increase the Risk of Cancer
Saturated and Trans fats can elevate the risk of cancer. Trans fats are generated by including hydrogen in vegetable oil to solidify them. This increases the shelf life of the oil, but may shorten your lifespan by causing cancerous diseases.
How to Make Healthier Diet Choices for Preventing Cancer
You can make some meal choices to ward of the cancer symptoms and live a long and healthy life.
- Try maintaining a diet with minimally 10% meat
- Avoid eating red meat as it is high in saturated fats
- Do not red meat as your main meal. Eat it as a sideline
- Prefer leaner meats such as fish over red meat
- Avoid sausages, salami and all sorts of processed meats.
- Use flaxseed oil. Do not use it in cooking, as the oil loses its protective properties when heated.
Some Meal Tips to Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Some of the tips you can incorporate in your diet to battle the symptoms of cancer are:
- Check the food labels and make sure the product is free from hydrogenated oils
- Choose olive oil instead of vegetable oil
- Do not over-cook vegetables, as they lose all their vitamins and minerals due to heat.
- Try to consume raw fruits and vegetables.
- Try to purchase organic products as they are free of chemicals and antibiotics, which are fed to animals.
As you can see, what you eat can affect your risk of cancer significantly. As the old saying goes, you are what you eat, so if you eat healthy, you will be healthy and cancer is just one of the health problems you will be able to prevent.